Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund Report –
Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students
March 16, 2021
Sullivan University (OPEID 00461900) received education stabilization funds under Section 18004(a)(1) of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (“CARES Act”), Public Law No: 116-136. This Fund Report applies to the student portion received under the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund that is designated exclusively for emergency financial aid grants to students.
The institution appreciates that Congress and the President have made these critical funds available for eligible students who have expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to the coronavirus pandemic. We take receipt of these federal funds seriously and are distributing them in accordance with the CARES Act and implementing guidance.
The institution is making the below information available for transparency purposes and in compliance with the U.S. Department of Education’s (“Department”) Electronic Announcement of May 6, 2020. For questions or concerns regarding this Fund Report, please contact Charlene Geiser, Fiscal Officer, at email@example.com.
- The institution signed and returned to the Department the Certification and Agreement [for] Emergency Financial Aid Grants in the amount of $2,903,218.00.
The institution has used, or intends to use, no less than 50 percent of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide emergency financial aid grants to students in the amount of $1,451,609.00. The Institution has also signed and returned to the Department a second Certification and Agreement to receive an additional $1,451,609.00 under HEERF which may be used by the University to cover any costs associated with significant changes to the delivery of instruction due to COVID-19.
- The total amount of funds that the institution will receive or has received from the Department pursuant to the institution’s Certification and Agreement [for] Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students is $1,451,609.00.
- The total amount of emergency financial aid grants distributed to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act as of May 21, 2020 was $0.00. As of June 5, 2020, the total awarded was $601,000.00. As of June 12, 2020, the total awarded was $663,000.00. As of June 19, 2020, the total awarded was $686,250.00. As of June 29, 2020, the total awarded was $735,250.00, of which, $725,000.00 was disbursed. The remaining $10,250.00 will be disbursed on Wednesday, July 1, 2020. This will conclude the first awarding and disbursement cycle. Remaining funds will be distributed during a subsequent cycle. On July 29, 2020, via email and other announcements to the student body, Sullivan University initiated a second cycle to distribute funds to eligible students with the remaining $716,359.00. As of August 7, 2020, and during the second cycle, an additional $117,391.00 was awarded and disbursed. A total $833,750.00 of the $1,451,609.00 was awarded and disbursed as of this date. As of 08/20/2020, and during the second cycle, a total of $1,116,500.00 of the $1,451,609.00 was awarded and disbursed as of this date. As of 9/4/2020 we have disbursed a total of $1,370,000.00. In a third cycle, Sullivan University has, as of 02/24/2021, disbursed an additional $619,875.00 in emergency grants to students. This brings the total disbursed as of 02/24/2021 to $1,989,875.00 ($538,266.00 was utilized from the Institutional share of CARES Act (HEERF) funding). As of 03/05/2021 Sullivan University has disbursed a total of $1,991,200.00 in emergency grants to students ($539,366.00 was from the Institutional share of CARES Act (HEERF) funding).
- The estimated total number of students at the institution who are or could be eligible to participate in the Federal student financial aid programs under Section 484 of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, and thus are eligible to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act are 2,999, as of December 2020. As of February 2021, this number increased to 3,910. As of 03/05/2021, the total number eligible has increased to 3,913.
- The total number of students who have received an Emergency Financial Aid Grant to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act is 1,287 as of 08/20/2020. As of 09/04/2020, the total number of students who have received an Emergency Financial Aid Grant under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act is 1,402. As of 02/24/2021 a total of 3,036 unduplicated students have received an Emergency Financial Aid Grant under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act. As of 03/05/2021 Sullivan University has disbursed emergency grants to a total of 3,041 unduplicated students.
- The methods used by the institution to determine which students receive emergency financial aid grants and how much they would receive under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act are provided at Attachment A.
- Any instructions, directions, or guidance provided by the institution to students concerning the emergency financial aid grants are provided at Attachment B.