Application For Admission
Application to the Sullivan University Physician Assistant Program has three components:
- Submit application and all supporting documentation to CASPA;
- If invited for an interview, submit a supplemental application;
- Personal Interview
CASPA Application Process
Initial application is made through CASPA, the Central Application Service for Physician Assistants. The Sullivan University PA Program will accept applications only via CASPA.
The CASPA application cycle opens April 30, 2020. The University’s closing deadline for applications is July 15, 2020. All applications must be in a verified status within CASPA on July 15, 2020 for consideration.
The CASPA Application Has 4 Parts:
- Personal Information Tab
- Academic History Tab requires official transcripts of all colleges and universities attended. Please note: International Students must submit a Worldwide Education Services evaluation of transcripts only. Sullivan University does not accept evaluations from any other service. Results of the TOEFL test should also be sent to the CASPA website.
- Supporting Information Tab includes recommendations, achievements/certifications, essays and a signed release statement.
- Program Materials Tab includes copies of professional licenses, military documentation, and Verification of Intent to Graduate (if graduating during the current academic year). Please note: All outstanding prerequisites and bachelor’s degree must be complete by April 1 prior to matriculation.
CASPA application fees depend upon the number of institutions you apply to. Fees start at $175.
The Sullivan University Physician Assistant Admissions Committee will review all verified CASPA applications. Upon completion of this review, the Admissions Committee will invite selected candidates to complete a supplemental application. Invited candidates will receive instructions and a link to the supplemental application.
- Students will be invited to complete the supplemental application or will be notified they are no longer under consideration.
- The supplemental application requires payment of a nonrefundable application fee of $100.
To be considered for an Admission Interview, the supplemental application must be completed within 30 days of receipt.
The Sullivan University Physician Assistant Program requires an interview as part of the admissions process. Students who have been selected to for an interview will be notified via e-mail. Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee an interview.
Minimum Prerequisites for Application
Physician Assistant Program
IMPORTANT: All requirements, including prerequisites and bachelor degree, must be complete by April 1 prior to matriculation. Prerequisites do not have to be completed through the Sullivan University System. Meeting the minimum prerequisites neither guarantees an interview nor admission to the Physician Assistant Program.
*Students who completed four quarter hours can be considered as their respective semester equivalent course hours.
Prerequisite Courses Available at Sullivan University System Schools
The following is a list of courses which are offered at The Sullivan University System locations that will satisfy some of the prerequisites for application to the Physician Assistant Program:
CHM 202 General Chemistry II with lab (online)
CHM 202 General Chemistry II with lab (online)
Additional Requirements for Applicants:
- Possess a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university.
- Earn a minimum cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 (preference given to 3.2+)
- Earn a minimum cumulative graduate grade point average of 3.0 (if applicable)
- Earn a math and science pre-requisite grade point average of at least 3.0 (preference given to 3.25+)
- Grade of C or higher must be obtained in all prerequisite courses (C- does not meet the requirement)
- Grades from all non-remedial courses completed post-high school are used to calculate the grade point averages (non-remedial courses are courses numbered 100 or higher)
- Prior to consideration of an application, all but two of the prerequisites must be completed with a grade posted on the official transcript(s).
- 25 PA Shadowing Hours (preference given to 40+ hours)
- At least 500 direct patient contact hours from, but not limited to the following:
- medical assistant
- respiratory therapy
- medic, corpsman
- occupational therapy
- occupational therapy assistant
- physical therapy
- physical therapy assistant
- nursing assistant
- surgical or ER tech
- athletic trainer
- counselor in health care setting
- dental hygienist or assistant
- medical scribe
- veterinary technician
- pharmacy technician
- All foreign transcripts must be evaluated by WES.
- A minimum TOEFL score of 26 in each section (if applicable)
- Complete a personal statement with application
- Submit 3 letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a PA, MD, or DO.
- Complete the Sullivan University Physician Assistant Program Interview process (by invitation only)
- Agree to and pass the criminal background check (no more than 45 days prior to start of classes)
- Submit the following healthcare documentation prior to the start of the Physician Assistant Program:
- A physical examination (within the three months prior to matriculation).
- Evidence of immunity to measles, mumps, rubella (MMR); varicella; tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (Tdap); hepatitis B, all according to CDC guidelines.
- Evidence of an annual flu vaccine, according to CDC guidelines.
- A 2-step PPD skin-test will be administered in weeks 1 and 2 of the didactic year to ensure that they are still valid for the clinical year, so a PPD test is not required ahead of matriculation, except for those who have previously tested positive for TB, who are required to provide a clean chest X-ray from within six months prior to matriculation.
- Evidence of health insurance. Health insurance must be maintained throughout the program. Sullivan University does not offer health insurance to students.
While all verified CASPA applications that meet our minimum requirements will be reviewed, this is a highly competitive process. As such, meeting the minimum prerequisites neither guarantees an interview nor admission to the Physician Assistant Program. To underline the competitive nature of our admissions process, we have provided below the average GPAs and healthcare experience hours of everyone who was invited to interview for the 2018 cycle:
- Average Cumulative Undergraduate GPA: 3.59
- Average Prerequisite Science & Math: 3.57
- Average Patient Contact Time: 1,167 hours
- Average Shadowing: 117 hours
Value Added Items
Please note that while not required, Sullivan University has identified the following value-added items which will be noticed and considered on an application:
- Organic Chemistry I & II, Molecular & Cellular Biology
- First-Generation College Students
- Students from Medically Underserved Areas
- Veterans of the US Armed Forces
- Variety in Breadth and Depth of Letters of Recommendation (not all from the same clinic, not all recent acquaintances)