STUDENTS ATTEND ANNUAL PARALEGAL ROUNDTABLE
Paralegal Studies students recently had an opportunity to hear from working paralegals from the Louisville legal community, including Sullivan graduates, when they attended the 22nd annual Paralegal Roundtable Discussion sponsored by the Institute for Legal Studies on Sullivan University’s Louisville campus. Students were especially fortunate this year as two roundtable discussions were conducted – one for the day division and one for the evening division.
The speakers took turns explaining their role and function at their respective places of employment, covering such topics as their job title, area of law practiced, specific job responsibilities, work environment, positive/negative aspects of the job, and opportunities for advancement.
One student, Anne-Marie E. Bergman, thought the roundtable was, “Superb…very insightful. Really appreciated the time these paralegals spent with us today.”
Lorel Taylor is a current Paralegal student who anticipates that she will graduate in March. She says she chose this area of study because, “”I have always been interested in the legal system and have a desire to serve my community. I love the in-depth classes and knowledge that I am gaining from this experience. After participating in the paralegal roundtable, Taylor said, “It was very informative about the different fields and the day-to-day activity involved in the job. The aspects each person talked about pertaining to their positions were a great insight.”
Sullivan would like to extend a special thank you to the legal professionals who participated in the roundtable sessions.
- Lauren Asher – family law/previously personal injury – Louis I Waterman PLLC
- Mary Lisanby, CCKP – Estate Planning and Trust Administration – Stoll, Keenon, Ogden, PLLC
- Melissa Reynolds, CKP – Criminal Litigation – Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney
- Kim Roberts – Civil Defense Litigation – Gwin, Steinmetz & Baird PLLC
- Debra (Debi) Hickey, CKP – Criminal Prosecution – United States Attorney’s Office
- Amy Hoagland – Healthcare Collection/Litigation – Fultz, Maddox, Hovious & Dickens, PLC
- Troy Schmitt, CKP – Commercial Litigation – Seiller Waterman, LLC
- Julie Rose Smith, BSBA, CKP – Family Law – Henry County Circuit Court