Associate of Science in Baking and Pastry Arts
Sullivan’s Baking & Pastry Arts program prepares those with a passion for baking to make their mark on an industry that demands both creativity and skill.
Our program provides you with hands-on training in baking theory and technique, as well as opportunities to test your skills in regional, national and international competitions.
Under Sullivan’s world-renowned chef-instructors, you will learn how to create both modern and traditional breads, pastries, candies and desserts. Best of all, Baking & Pastry Arts students complete practicums and externships at restaurants and bakeries around Louisville in order to gain experience.
- To provide the finest foundational knowledge, skills and experiential learning to students entering into the hospitality industry by teaching both practical and knowledge-based industry standards.
- To teach students classic methods needed to produce essential pastry items - from artisan bread baking to advanced sugar making to chocolate work - while also introducing you to necessary ingredient functionality and a working knowledge of how ingredients react to each other to produce certain beneficial results for successful baked goods.
- Sullivan University's College of Hospitality Studies has long set the standard for hospitality education, earning a reputation over the past three decades as one of the top hospitality schools in the U.S.
- Sullivan’s Baking and Pastry Arts student competition team holds an impressive winning record. Sullivan recently sent four members of the team to the Internationale Kockkunst Ausstellung Culinary Olympics in Germany. Since there is no student category in the Culinary Olympics, the team competed against the very best chefs from 45 nations—and still all but swept the competition. The team brought home one silver medal, two bronze medals and a diploma, proving that a baking and pastry arts education from Sullivan is truly world-class.
- Thanks to Sullivan’s streamlined approach to education and year-round 11-week quarters, you can complete your degree in just 18 months.
With an Associate of Science in Baking & Pastry Arts degree from Sullivan University, you'll gain the skills and experience you need to work as a pastry chef or baker at places such as:
- Fine restaurants
- Hotels and resorts
- Cruise lines
- Catering business
- Specialty shops, such as a chocolatier, boulangerie or confectionary
- Research and development kitchens
- Your own business
Length: 21 months, 18 months accelerated (day)
Time length for program completion will vary depending upon the number of courses taken per term, developmental courses when required, transfer credit accepted, lack of continuous enrollment, etc.